Tuesday, June 30, 2009

M10 W2 Deadlift Day

Summer 2009 Training
Mesocycle 10 - Week 2

Deadlift Day

Beginning Thoughts:
Got my platform built. Finally. Tested it out today.
Workout:
Banded Deadlifts w/ Red Bands:
95 lb x 2 reps x 1 set
115 lbs x 2 reps x 1 set
135 lbs x 2 reps x 5 sets
Good work on this. Last time I attempted these 135 had been my max. I am glad I broke that. This was one of my "mini-goals" of today's workout.

Deadlifts:
385 lbs x 2 reps
405 lbs x 1 rep
The 405 was a real grinder. I would be upset but I am not. For two reasons. One, I warmed up pretty badly for this because I don't know how to transition from Banded Deadlifts @ 135 to Deadlifts without wasting time. This whole workout in all took 2.5 hours almost - time isn't the problem...I just need to know what to do so I turn up to the gym before it shuts.

Pistol Squats:
4 + 3 + 3 = 10 reps
I didn't take a vid last Pistol Squat Day, so here y'all go. Clip of Set 1 is provided. Unfortunately, form got better over all sets and I never took vids of any of the other sets. I am gonna take some vids in a couple of days when I have my Pistol Squat Day coming up.

Suitcase Deadlifts:
135 lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets

Plate Pinches:
25 lbs x 40 seconds
25 lbs x 30 seconds
25 lbs x 20 seconds

Dragonfly Leg Raises:
BW x 10 reps x 2 sets
Videos:
Deadlifts, Pistol Squats & Suitcase Deadlifts:
Overall Impression:
I hope everyone's having a good week. I can't believe it's only Tuesday...

On another note: I have been thinking about this and I have concluded that it is OK not to nail a new PR week in and week out. I know this is nothing new but I tend to overlook other aspects of my training. This whole last week I was a ticking time bomb because of one bad deadlift session - not that today's was spectacular, because it wasn't. BUT, I did hit my mini-goals so that cheers me up for sure. I am learning to look at the larger picture. What's the larger picture?
1.) I am getting so much better at Pistol Squats and I am rocking them like never before.
2.) My stomach has come in and my upper abs are visible. Now all I have are HUGE love handles to the side. Before I used to have a keg. Now I am closer to Biscuits.
3.) My OH Squat is progressing well.
4.) My Conditioning Work is also going well.
5.) I am stronger on pull-ups.
6.) My upper body is getting built.
7.) Deadlift is hovering close to 405-425.

Now, looking at this, my Deadlift isn't that bad. After all...what race am I in? My only concern at the beginning of this vacation was me losing strength on the Deadlift. BUT, I haven't. I have at worst just maintained. In terms of quality, my Deficit Deadlifts were killer and I got 425 up to my knees even. So having a slowly progressing Deadlift is OK.

I guess that was just something I wanted to make note of. This is strictly only for GUS, ofcourse....

Thanks for reading, y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment