Saturday, May 16, 2009

M9 W1 Deadlift Day

Summer 2009 Training
Mesocycle 9 - Week 1

Deadlift Day

Beginning Thoughts:
I arrived in Bombay early morning (4 am). I went and met my dentist. Everything is ok. No cavity or anything. The food piece that had gotten stuck had just caused an irritation. It will die down soon. I was feeling good so I thought I'd hit the gym. Bad move.
Workout:
Deficit Deadlifts:
355 lbs x 3 reps
375 lbs x 3 reps
405 lbs x FAIL
405 lbs x FAIL
385 lbs x FAIL
Ok so two bad things happened here. One, I forgot my camera which sucks. Secondly, I lost all drive after 375. This is VERY weird because the warm-ups felt awesome. The bar flew up all the way till 375 itself. I don't understand what the heck happened at 405. I just clammed up. I moved the bar on both attempts up to my knee but then I just lost all drive to lock it out. Super gay. I am hoping it's just because of the jet-lag (which I never normally feel) or the fact that I am in a new gym setting which has thrown me a little off balance. If this shit happens again I'm gonna be very very upset. Next workout better be a good one.

Medicine Ball Twists:
15 lbs x 12 reps x 6 sets

Supine Glute Ham Raises
BW x 10 reps x 3 sets

Farmers Walks:
85 lbs x 48 seconds
85 lbs x 36 seconds
85 lbs x 27 seconds
Since my gym's heaviest dumbbell is the 85 lbs one, we decided to make it a little difficult by setting the rule that the person doing the exercise has to walk non-stop with the weights in his hand around the gym in any fashion he wants. If he stops or puts the weight down the time is stopped.

Plate Pinches:
25 lbs x 25 seconds x 3 sets
Videos:
I forgot my camera. So dumb of me.
Overall Impression:
I was actually very bummed out about this workout. But then I realized a few things.
1.) I don't compete professionally. This isn't a matter of life or death for me.
2.) I don't need to bust my balls any more about 2 failed deadlift sessions in a row. Shit happens. It's time to deal with it.
3.) I suffer from anxiety when I go in for a deadlift workout. It's non-needed negativity in my life. I am doing this for fun. I don't need to be nervous. My best results have always come when I have been having a terrible warm-up session.

So, I am no longer beating myself about this workout. Shit happens. Next week will be different. Worst case scenario: I'll lose some strength these 3 months I'm in Bombay. But big ****ing deal....it took me a while to get this far, I can do it again.

I hope everyone's having a good weekend. Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment